Smoke Detectors Save Lives

On February 11th, 2019, at roughly 06:30 AM, Locke Fire Department and surrounding mutual-aid departments were dispatched to a possible structure fire. Personnel arrived quickly on the scene, and declared a working fire with the structure already heavily involved. Crews did their best to control the fire, but were limited to exterior operations due to the advanced progress of the fire.

As firefighting operations continued, the family displaced from the home were inside an EMS unit staying warm. They were met by volunteers from our local chapter of the Red Cross, who learned that the family was able to get out of the house with the help of one 11-year-old boy. That same boy learned about smoke detectors from the firefighters of Locke Fire Department, who had come to his school for a fire prevention presentation. He tested his smoke detectors and also knew what to do when they went off.

On the morning of the house fire, he alerted family members to get out of the house, and they evacuated to meet outside. This little boy likely saved lives that morning, and can be called a hero. His quick thinking made a difference for his family. Nothing makes us prouder than seeing our fire prevention programs helping families and saving lives. Remember, smoke detectors save lives. You never know when you may need them! Make sure your smoke detectors are in working order, because it could just save your life.

For more information about smoke detectors, contact Locke Fire Department at (704) 633-7285.

Information in English

Information en EspaƱol